San Jose Firefighter Released From Hospital Following Heart Attack at Downtown Fire

By: Sylvia Ramirez - Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:24:18 -0800

SAN JOSE (BCN)--A veteran San Jose firefighter who was hospitalized after suffering a heart attack at the scene of a church fire late last month is recovering at home, said Fire Chief William McDonald.
     
Frank Ryan, 41, was released Wednesday from Regional Medical Center of San Jose where he had been hospitalized since Aug. 30.
     
Ryan had collapsed a few minutes before noon, just as fire crews were gaining the upper hand on a three-alarm fire at St. Patrick Proto-Cathedral Parish at 389 E. Santa Clara St.
     
Conditions inside the church were described as "blackout," with smoke too thick to see through, according to fire Capt. Mary Gutierrez.
     
After being brought to the hospital in critical condition, Ryan received round-the-clock support from his fellow firefighters, who took shifts visiting the ICU waiting room in the days following his hospitalization.
     
Up until Ryan woke up on Sept. 4, at least 20 fire fighters were in the waiting room at a given time. At night, off duty fire fighters slept on cots, Gutierrez said.
     
San Jose fire fighters also raised money to fly Ryan's closest family members, his five siblings, to San Jose.
 
 (Copyright 2012, Bay City News and KRON 4, All rights reserved.)
blog comments powered by Disqus