WFLA - LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) - Police are searching for a missing, endangered man who escaped from a nursing home in Lakeland, Florida.
Surveillance video shows John Thomas, 81, climb over a 6-foot fence and walk away from Lakeland Manor Assisted Living Facility, which is located on Bon Air Street. He has been missing from the home since Monday.
Lakeland police say Thomas was only at the facility for five days. He was in jail from May through December on misdemeanor charges for carrying a concealed weapon and failure to appear.
Thomas is a veteran, and a veteran's group helped transport him to the nursing home on December 7.
Two days after he escaped, Thomas was spotted at an impound lot in Tampa. Police said he tried to get his car back, which was impounded during his time in jail. Unfortunately, the car had already been crushed and Thomas has not been spotted since.
Previously, Thomas was living out of his car in the Tampa area.
Police said Thomas has dementia and other medical issues and is not in possession of his medication.
Thomas is 5'06" tall and approximately 150 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black shirt, black hat and "Croc" style shoes.
If you see Thomas, please call Det. Laura Robertson at (863) 834-6974, (863) 559-0671 or via email at email@example.com.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR ED LEE DIES AT 65
- REMEMBERING SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR ED LEE
- WHO IS ACTING MAYOR OF SAN FRANCISCO, LONDON BREED?
- SIERRA LAMAR'S KILLER TO BE SENTENCED
- ARREST MADE IN 1980 COLD-CASE MURDER OF ANTIOCH GIRL
- GET YOUR MORTGAGE OR RENT PAID IN 2018
14-year-old Fremont boy missing after...
Santa Cruz Police: Man points BB gun...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Santa Cruz Police: Man points BB gun at boy, threatens to 'blow his brains out'
- Shots reportedly fired on I-580 in Marin County
- INTERVIEW: Governor Candidate Delaine Eastin
- WATCH: Stranded kayaker rescued from Tomales Bay