WALNUT CREEK (KRON) - Walnut Creek police have arrested a 34-year-old man accused of using a large metal pole to murder a 60-year-old man at a construction site, authorities said.
The killing happened at around 6:52 p.m. Thursday on the 1800 block of Lacassie Avenue, officers said. When police arrived, they found a man on the ground suffering from severe head wounds.
Despite life-saving efforts from paramedics, the man died at the scene.
Police arrested Hakim Madjour, of Concord, for the murder, police said. He was found near the scene.
"Based on the investigation, Officers and Detectives learned Madjour and the victim knew each other and were both working as security guards at the construction site. Evidence indicates Madjour violently and unexpectedly attacked the victim which led to his death," police said in a press release.
A large metal pole was recovered at the scene.
Madjour suffered minor injuries and was treated at John Muir Medical Center. He was then taken to the Martinez Detention Facility, where he was booked in the murder.
Madjour is being held on $1 million bail.
Police have not identified the victim.
- GUNMAN TAKES 3 PEOPLE HOSTAGE AT YOUNTVILLE VETERANS HOME
- WORRIED FAMILIES WAIT FOR WORD ON LOVED ONES AT YOUNTVILLE VETERANS HOME
- HUSBAND OF WORKER: GUNMAN AT YOUNTVILLE VETERANS HOME SLIPPED INTO PARTY
- TIMELINE: AUTHORITIES KNOW ID OF GUNMAN AT YOUNTVILLE VETERANS HOME
- 3 EMPLOYEES TAKEN HOSTAGE AT YOUNTVILLE VETERANS HOME
- GET KRON4 NEWS ON YOUR AMAZON ALEXA DEVICE