SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A prominent U.S. appeals court judge has announced his retirement days after women alleged he subjected them to inappropriate sexual conduct or comments.
Judge Alex Kozinski of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said in a statement Monday that a battle over the accusations would not be good for the judiciary. He says he'll retire, effective immediately.
The Washington Post reported last week that at least 15 women made allegations against Kozinski that go back decades. The allegations include inappropriate touching and lewd comments.
In his statement, Kozinski apologizes to anyone he's caused to feel uncomfortable in the workplace.
The 67-year-old was chief judge of the 9th Circuit, the largest federal appeals court circuit in the country, from 2007 to 2014.
The 9th Circuit has opened a misconduct inquiry.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: WOMAN GETS ANGRY AT CUSTOMERS FOR SPEAKING KOREAN
- TWO WOMEN FOUND DEAD IN EAST PALO ALTO HOME
- MEMORIAL PLANNED FOR SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR ED LEE
- VACAVILLE GIRL RECEIVES DISTURBING VOICEMAIL FROM CLASSMATE
- DOCTOR ACCUSED OF SPIKING WOMAN'S DRINK WITH ABORTION PILL
- SURGEON ADMITS SIGNING INITIALS ON PATIENTS' LIVERS
- GET YOUR MORTGAGE OR RENT PAID IN 2018