SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A former San Francisco 49ers player now playing professional rugby in Australia has been sued by a California woman who says he sexually assaulted her.
The woman filed a lawsuit Tuesday alleging that Jarryd Hayne raped her after gathering with mutual friends in a San Jose, California, bar in December 2015. The woman alleges she was heavily intoxicated when Hayne took her to his home. The woman wasn't identified in the lawsuit.
Hayne's Australian lawyer Ramy Qutami said in a prepared statement that Hayne "unequivocally and vehemently" denies any wrongdoing.
Santa Clara County prosecutors declined to charge Hayne after the encounter was reported to police three months later.
Hayne returned punts for the 49ers for eight games in 2015 after a successful Australian rugby career.
- FATHER, SON WHO DROWNED AT SONOMA COUNTY BEACH IDENTIFIED
- 4 TEENS ARRESTED FOR SHOOTING INTO SAN RAMON HOMES, CARS
- SHERIFF: DOGS WHO MAULED OWNER TO DEATH EUTHANIZED
- WORKER FIRED FOR RACY JOKE WRITTEN INSIDE PIZZA BOX
- ATTACK AT HAYWARD BART STATION INJURES MAN, WOMAN
- 'PLENTY OF FISH' POSTING LEADS TO VIOLENT HOME INVASION ROBBERY
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Facebook's value plunges $34 billion on data controversy
- Georgia deputy scuffles with suspect during traffic stop
- ‘Sex in the City' star Cynthia Nixon running for governor
- Winning $457 million Powerball ticket sold in Pennsylvania