SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A U.S. Olympic figure skater had two pricey costumes and her skates stolen from a rental SUV when while visiting San Francisco.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported Tuesday that Marissa Castelli was competing in the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in nearby San Jose last week.
She and her parents visited the Japantown neighborhood for lunch Monday before returning home to Rhode Island.
A burglar broke into the SUV and stole several pieces of luggage that included two skating costumes worth at least $1,000 each and her figure skates.
Castelli competed in the 2014 winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, and is the 2017 U.S. national silver medalist.
San Francisco is plagued by auto burglaries, with a record of more than 30,000 reported last year, a 24 percent increase over 2016.
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.comWHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- SIERRA GETS 18 INCHES OF SNOW
- 12 INJURED IN EAST BAY SCHOOL BUS CRASH
- DEADLY MUDSLIDES KILL AT LEAST 8 IN SOCAL
- DAD HEARD CRASH THAT KILLED PREGNANT DAUGHTER
- WOMAN CONTRACTS FLESH-EATING BACTERIA FROM OYSTERS
- WATCH: WHALE SAVES DIVER FROM POTENTIAL SHARK ATTACK
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- People Behaving Badly: Bay to Breakers booze
- Deadly Napa crash kills man on his way to celebrate first wedding anniversary
- Iowa congressman proposes bill to make it illegal for politicians to warn of ICE raids
- Family of teen girl killed in San Jose pot DUI crash wants more accountability for offenders