SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP/KRON) - A man and his 6-year-old son drowned as the man tried to rescue the child from a powerful undertow off a Northern California beach, authorities said Monday.
The father and son who died have been identified as 31-year-old Omar Sanchez Hernandez and 6-year-old Axel Sanchez Medina.
The deaths occurred Sunday near the coastal town of Jenner at Goat Rock Beach, a stretch of shoreline known for dangerous currents.
The 6-year-old and a brother went into the water and were caught in the waves, California State Parks spokesman Mike Lair said. The father went into the water to rescue them, but drowned with one of the sons, Lair said. The other boy was able to swim back to the beach.
Authorities did not immediately release the names of the victims. The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reported they were from the city of Santa Rosa north of San Francisco.
Goat Rocks Beach was the scene of three drownings last year alone, the Press Democrat said.
The area is posted with signs warning of dangerous waves, but families often ignore both the signs and warnings from patrolling lifeguards, Lair said.
Sunday was "a pretty nice day, and people expect to be able to go out in the water, and it's not safe to go in the water," Lair said.
The state was already buying a lifeguard tower to aid rescue efforts at Goat Rock, he said.Video courtesy of Pat PatersonWHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: WOMAN GETS ANGRY AT CUSTOMERS FOR SPEAKING KOREAN
- TWO WOMEN FOUND DEAD IN EAST PALO ALTO HOME
- MEMORIAL PLANNED FOR SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR ED LEE
- VACAVILLE GIRL RECEIVES DISTURBING VOICEMAIL FROM CLASSMATE
- DOCTOR ACCUSED OF SPIKING WOMAN'S DRINK WITH ABORTION PILL
- SURGEON ADMITS SIGNING INITIALS ON PATIENTS' LIVERS
- GET YOUR MORTGAGE OR RENT PAID IN 2018
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Q&A: What you need to know about the Toys 'R' Us going-out-of-business sales
- DRAMATIC VIDEO: California storm forces flood rescues in Folsom
- VIDEO REPORT: Giants unveil what's new at AT&T Park in 2018
- After Parkland shooting, worldwide ‘March for Our Lives;' list of Bay Area events