(CNN) – A man paralyzed from the shoulders down is now able to walk using a mind-controlled robotic suit.
Sounds like science fiction right?
But it really happened in France.
The man, identified only as Thibault, severed his spinal cord after falling from a balcony.
University of Grenoble researchers implanted recording devices in his head that can transmit signals into movements, which are then executed by a robotic exo-skeleton.
For two years, Thibault has been using a videogame avatar to help it understand his thoughts.
Over the course of the study, he was able to walk the distance of more than one and a half football fields.
Scientists say the technology is an experimental treatment that could help others, after it’s improved.
For more information, check out Friday’s edition of the journal Lancet Neurology.
Latest News Headlines:
- Trump impeachment rally held in San Francisco
- Christopher Columbus statue vandalized in San Francisco
- 10-year-old Napa boy inspired California’s new ‘lunch shaming’ ban
- Family seeks answers after police kill Texas woman at her home
- Family, friends remember East Bay Pastor killed in Colusa County car crash