LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles County sheriff says inmates at a jail tried to infect themselves with the coronavirus by sharing a cup of water and a mask.
Sheriff Alex Villanueva showed surveillance videos from two units at the North County Correctional Facility in Castaic.
The footage captured inmates in one unit sharing a cup of water and others in a second unit sharing a mask.
He said 21 inmates in the units were later diagnosed with COVID-19.
Villanueva said the inmates mistakenly believed that if they were infected they would be freed.
- High temperatures expected across the Bay Area this weekend
- Largest California wildfire threatens marijuana-growing area
- Bay Area conditions: Air Quality Advisory, heat wave incoming
- Mom’s remains disappear after being mailed to wrong address
- Family of Breonna Taylor, attorneys react to grand jury decision