The patient, who was never sick enough to be hospitalized, has fully recovered, officials said.
Officials said he is a Santa Clara County resident who had recently had traveled to Wuhan, China.
He arrived back home through the San Jose airport on Jan. 24, officials said.
County officials stressed that this does not mean there is a heighten risk of the coronavirus to the general public in Santa Clara County.
This patient was the first confirmed coronavirus patient in the Bay Area.
A woman also tested positive for the virus in Santa Clara County, a county of about two million residents.
The two cases are not related and the county says there is no evidence that there is a person to person spread of the new virus in the county.
The second patient also recently traveled to Wuhan, China.
Latest stories on the coronavirus:
- Security guard charged with murder after fighting with customer over face mask rules
- San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season
- Pathologist found blood clots in ‘almost every organ’ during autopsies on COVID-19 patients
- WHO: Indoor airborne spread of coronavirus possible
- Stephen Curry jokingly ‘spars’ with boxer Canelo Alvarez at celebrity golf tournament