Customers will be asked to use exact change.
If that isn’t possible, customers will then be asked to round up in support of Kroger’s Zero Hunger Zero Waste initiative — or have that coin change applied to a customer’s loyalty card.
The shortage is caused, in part, by the mass closings of US businesses or changes in business operations due to the coronavirus pandemic, resulting in fewer coins reaching the public.
At the same time, the U.S. Mint limited the production of new coins to keep employees safe.
- Video released of San Jose police officers shooting, killing unarmed man
- LeBron shows respect to Curry after NBA All-Star Weekend
- No. 4 Stanford routs No. 9 UCLA to win Pac 12 title
- Mobile COVID-19 site vaccinates underserved communities in the East Bay
- Authorities search California field for 2 missing boys