LONDON (AP) – Major League Soccer is shutting down because of the coronavirus, according to Inter Miami owner Jorge Mas.
Mas says the target period for the hiatus is 30 days.
He told players and coaches, then held a news conference and says, “We’ve made a decision as a league this morning, as owners, that play will be suspended temporarily.”
The expansion team owned by Mas and former England captain David Beckham had been scheduled to play its home opener Saturday in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- More hostages released in Gaza as ceasefire extended
- Trump gag order reinstated in New York civil fraud trial
- Biden campaign gets much-needed jolt amid Trump’s ObamaCare threats
- Big Game Bound: Eagles host 49ers as they continue push toward top seed
- Biden campaign points Latino voters toward Trump’s ObamaCare threat