LONDON (AP) – Major League Soccer is shutting down because of the coronavirus, according to Inter Miami owner Jorge Mas.
Mas says the target period for the hiatus is 30 days.
He told players and coaches, then held a news conference and says, “We’ve made a decision as a league this morning, as owners, that play will be suspended temporarily.”
The expansion team owned by Mas and former England captain David Beckham had been scheduled to play its home opener Saturday in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- California loosens restrictions as new COVID-19 guidance issued
- Search continues for hit-and-run driver who ran over 24-year-old woman at Oakland protest
- March held for 22-year-old man shot, killed by Vallejo police officer
- San Francisco school introduces new athletic program for girls
- Cannabis industry still recovering after hit hard by looters