WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump wants the government to send checks to Americans in the next two weeks in an effort to curb the economic cost of the coronavirus outbreak.
That’s according to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
He said Tuesday that “The president has instructed me we have to do this now.”
He didn’t give details except to say the amount should be significant and millionaires would not get it.
The announcement came as the White House asked Congress to approve a massive economic rescue package for businesses and taxpayers.
- Newsfeed Now: Third COVID vaccine begins US rollout; 7-year-old opens lemonade stand to fund brain surgery
- Deal reached to get California children back in classrooms
- Wolf tracked near Yosemite park for first time in 100 years
- U.S. investigates engine fires in over 1 million Toyota RAV4s
- Biological sisters separated by adoption find each other by chance while working