Officials in New Jersey posted a dramatic video on December 19 showing how quickly dry Christmas trees burst into flames as they warned of the fire danger posed by trees that are not watered.
This footage, posted by the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management, shows the time it takes a dry Christmas tree to burn compared to a watered tree.
“Check the water level of your Christmas tree,” officials said in the post, before issuing a reminder to “unplug the lights every night before bed.”
According to the National Fire Protection Association, one-third of Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical malfunctions, and one-fifth are caused by placing the tree too close to a heat source.
- Scottie Pippen’s son, Antron, dies at 33
- Tyrannosaurs may have hunted in packs like wolves, new research shows
- Xbox cloud gaming opens limited beta on PC, Apple
- Scholars urge Biden to stop Title 42 expulsions and Mexico to end arrest of migrants
- Bills establishing public law schools in 2 ‘underserved’ border regions clear Texas House