CHICAGO, Ill. (KRON) — NBA All-Star weekend is here, which means anything can happen.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has announced that the Kia NBA All-Star Game MVP Award has a new name.
The MVP of the game will take home the “Kobe Bryant MVP Award”.
Silver announced the permanent change Saturday afternoon. He said it felt appropriate because “no one embodied All-Star more than Kobe Bryant.”
Bryant won the award a record-tying four times.
The NBA legend and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna were killed in a helicopter crash on Jan. 26. Seven others also lost their lives while all on board were on their way to a basketball game.
Latest Kobe Bryant Posts:
- New learning program helps parents, students with new norm of classwork at home
- Contra Costa County man shops, delivers groceries to neighbors to assist with crisis
- Santa Rosa police warn enforcement action if people don’t follow stay-at-home orders
- Antioch students receive laptops, lunches during coronavirus pandemic
- Former Warriors player discusses cannabis use for anxiety during pandemic