Federal authorities say 40 people in the U.S. illegally were arrested after investigators found two separate apartments used in a suspected human smuggling operation in Southern California.
Officials say U.S. Border Patrol agents raided an apartment in the city of Imperial Beach on Monday and discovered 22 Mexican nationals. After further investigation the agents found 18 additional people from Mexico at another unit in the same apartment complex.
A statement says 36 males, ages 16 to 49, and four females, ages 24 to 46, are in custody.
The investigation is ongoing.
- YOUR LOCAL ELECTION HEADQUARTERS
- LIVE CALIFORNIA MIDTERM ELECTION RESULTS
- TIMELINE RELEASED IN DEADLY YOUNTVILLE VETERAN’S HOME SHOOTING
- IS PREGNANCY CONTAGIOUS? RESEARCHERS SAY YES
- $100K RAISED FOR CALIFORNIA TEACHER WHO PUNCHED STUDENT