NEW YORK (AP) – Amazon is raising the price of its Prime membership monthly plan by nearly 20 percent.
The fee of $99 for an annual membership will not change, the company said Friday.
The online retailer had added the monthly payment option about two years ago as a way to hook shoppers – especially during the holiday season – who wanted faster free shipping, but didn’t want to commit to an annual fee. The Seattle-based company does not disclose how many Prime members it has.
Besides free two-day shipping, Prime members get other perks, such as access to Amazon’s video and music streaming services.
Starting Friday, new monthly members will pay $12.99 a month, up from $10.99. Qualifying college students will pay $6.49 a month, up from $5.49. Amazon.com Inc. said existing monthly members will start paying the higher fees next month.
Amazon said its $5.99-a-month Prime membership for low-income people who receive government assistance is not affected by the price increase. Amazon launched the discounted Prime membership last year for people who have a valid Electronic Benefits Transfer card.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: 6.5 EARTHQUAKE STRIKES MEXICO
- 4-YEAR-OLD GIRL KILLED IN ANTIOCH STOLEN TRUCK CRASH ID’D
- DA: SOCAL COUPLE’S ABUSE OF SHACKLED KIDS BECAME TORTURE
- DISTURBING DETAILS RELEASED ON 13 SHACKLED SIBLINGS
- NEW CALIFORNIA DECLARES ‘INDEPENDENCE’ FROM STATE
- GET KRON4 NEWS ON YOUR AMAZON ALEXA DEVICE