RENO, Nev. (AP) – Authorities have identified a 34-year-old San Francisco Bay Area man who drowned at Lake Tahoe as a U.S. Army veteran who worked as a correctional officer for the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office.
The Douglas County sheriff’s office says bystanders pulled Andreia Jeffrey Arqueza from the water at Zephyr Cove on Tahoe’s southeast shore at about 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Deputies began life-saving measures on the shore but he later was pronounced dead at a hospital in South Lake Tahoe, California.
The San Mateo County Code 30 Foundation says Arqueza – who went by “AJ” – served in Iraq and previously worked for the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office.
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES:
- Adopt a senior dog in February with no fees at Muttville Senior Dog Rescue
- Boys, 13, charged with murder in Porterville library fire that killed 2 firefighters
- Pedestrian hit by car in San Jose dies, another injured
- Police: 24-year-old arrested for stabbing victim multiple times in Fairfield
- Self-styled daredevil dies in crash after rocket launch