A baby who was assaulted by his mom’s boyfriend on Valentine’s Day has died, Raleigh police said Saturday.
The incident caused a skull fracture to 1-year-old Torrance Adams, according to police and court documents.
Michael Buchanan, 23, was facing one count of intentional child abuse causing serious bodily injury.
But, now charges have been upgraded to murder in connection with Adams’ death, police said Saturday evening.
A Wake County Magistrate’s Order shows that Buchanan assaulted his girlfriend’s child on Valentine’s Day and caused a “back skull fracture and subdural brain bleed.”
The incident occurred on Thursday and the baby stopped breathing earlier in the day, according to police and court documents. The baby was hospitalized until he died Saturday.
Buchanan was being held in the Wake County Detention Center under an initial $100,000 secured bond.
However, his bond was increased in a court appearance via a video link on Friday.
Buchanan’s bond was increased to $2 million. His next court date is set for March 7 at 2 p.m.
- SAUSALITO MUDSLIDE DESTOYS HOME, INJURES WOMAN
- HERO LYFT DRIVER RESCUES TODDLER FOUND WANDERING SANTA ROSA
- WATCH: AC TRANSIT BUS DRIVES THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAY
- PHOTOS: POWERFUL STORM CAUSES WIDESPREAD DAMAGE IN BAY AREA
- INTERACTIVE RADAR: TRACK THE RAIN ACROSS THE BAY AREA