SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Tens of thousands of people across the Bay Area are without power and more are expected to lose power Wednesday night.
The power shutoff could affect up to 800,000 PG&E customers in Northern and Central California, including several schools.
The power shutoffs began around midnight on Wednesday forcing many school districts to close schools for Wednesday.
Districts are now announcing new closures moving into Thursday.
This list will be updated as KRON4 learns more. Continue to check back to see if your school will be closed.
Here is a list of impacted schools:
- The University of California, Berkeley is closed Thursday.
For updated information on class cancelations during the power outage, students are advised to check news.berkeley.edu.
The following schools are closed:
- Jensen Ranch
- Canyon Middle School
All other school sites not listed above in the CVUSD are open.
For more information, the district will keep residents up to date on the website.
Contra Costa County
These schools will be closed on Thursday:
- Pinole Valley High School
- Ellerhorst Elementary School
- Kensington Elementary School
- Madera Elementary School
- Olinda Elementary School
For the latest updates from the district, continue to check the website.
All schools within the Fremont Unified School District are open Thursday, Oct. 10.
All schools in the district remained open on Wednesday. There is no update for Thursday at this time.
All schools in the district will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 9 and Thursday, Oct. 10.
The Oakland Unified School District announced that all schools, except for nine of them, will hold classes on Thursday.
These are the schools that will be closed:
- Grass Valley
- Elmhurst United
- Rudsdale Continuation
- Skyline High School
- Sojourner Truth
- Mills College announced that the campus will be closed on Wednesday and Thursday.
On Wednesday, the district said 12 schools could be closed on Wednesday but only Skyline ended up being impacted due to its location.
Oakland officials remind residents to sign up for notifications and updates on www.acalert.org during an outage.
Santa Clara County
- All schools in the Alum Rock Union School District will be closed on Wednesday, Oct. 9 and Thursday, Oct. 10.
- Evergreen Valley College will be closed until the power is restored.
San Jose Unified School District will remain open despite shutoffs.
All schools in the district and offices will be back open on Thursday, Oct. 10.
These schools will be closed Thursday:
- Maria Carrillo High
- Rincon Valley Middle
- Santa Rosa Middle
- Hidden Valley Elementary
- Proctor Terrace Elementary
- Santa Rosa Accelerated Charter School
- Lewis Education Center
- Santa Rosa Junior College
All after school programs, including childcare and athletics, were also canceled.
All SRJC campuses and sites will remain closed until the community is otherwise notified. Activities and classes, including online, are canceled.
- All Solano Community College locations will be closed on Thursday. All classes, including online classes, will be canceled.
- Buckingham CDharter School in the Vacaville Unified School District will be close through Friday
- All other Vacaville and Travis Unified School District schools open
This list of schools and districts will be closed:
- Alexander Valley
- Bennett Valley
- Bellevue Union (only Kawana Springs)
- Cloverdale Unified School District
- Geyserville Unified School District
- Horicon Elementary School District
- Kashia School District
- Mark West Union School District (only Riebli Elementary)
- Old Adobe Union (only Sonoma Mountain and Old Adobe charters)
- Pivot Charter School
- Petaluma City Schools (only Kenilworth Junior High)
- Rincon Valley School District—only the following schools are closed as of now.
*Austin Creek Elementary
*Rincon Valley Charter School
- Santa Rosa City Schools—only the following schools as of now. The district website should be checked for updates.
*Maria Carrillo High
*Rincon Valley Middle
*Santa Rosa Accelerated Charter School
*Santa Rosa Middle
*Hidden Valley Elementary
*Proctor Terrace Elementary
*Lewis Education Center
- Sonoma Valley Unified School District (clsoed through Friday)
- Sonoma County Office of Education – Petaluma Transition Program only
- Waugh School District (close for non-student days; teacher conferences still running)
- West Side Union School District
Sonoma State University has announced that the campus will remain closed through Friday. All classes and activities will be canceled.
Latest News Headlines:
- Majority of those arrested in Alameda County from out of region, sheriff says
- U.S. farmers just can’t catch a break in 2020
- Lawmakers divided on president’s comments on protesters
- Teen caught smuggling 7 kilos of cocaine at El Paso border crossing
- Republicans praise Trump for his promise to stop protests; Democrats at a loss for words