ROME (AP) — The uncle of one of the teens jailed in Italy for the fatal stabbing of a police officer says his nephew took part in organized fights between boys in high school.
The uncle of Finnegan Lee Elder told The Associated Press on Tuesday that “fight nights” in a popular San Francisco park were well-known and “apparently resulted in many injuries.”
Sean Elder says his nephew didn’t have a criminal record or discipline records from school.
Finnegan Elder, who is 19, and Gabriel Christian Natale-Hjorth, who is 18, were taken into custody hours after the slaying of Carabinieri Deputy Brigadier Mario Cerciello Rega early Friday.
A judge said Elder told authorities he stabbed a man he later discovered was a police officer because he feared he was being strangled. The judge noted the teen lacked neck marks consistent with attempted strangulation.
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES:
- Florida doctor allegedly tried to buy sex slave with bitcoin: FBI
- ‘Warrior’ teacher Eva Mireles killed in Texas school shooting
- ‘I’m just still scared’: Uvalde 3rd-grader describes surviving massacre
- Millions of airbags eject shrapnel, SF lawsuit claims
- Regional parks warn of rattlesnakes re-emerging