OAKLAND, Calif. (KRON) — Oakland Fire says a large fire at a Chinatown commercial building started as a dumpster fire. About 70 firefighters are on the scene as of 9:30 a.m. Originally thought to be a grocery store, fire officials say it was actually made up of restaurants.
The Oakland Fire Department tweeted about the fire at 8:40 a.m., which is at 718 Webster Street in “the heart of Chinatown,” according to Fire Chief Melinda Drayton.
“We made sure that all the residents and tenants below the fire made it out safely this morning,” Drayton told KRON4 at the scene.
Oakland Fire at 9 a.m. tweeted they were working on a trench cut in on the roof for vertical ventilation.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Restaurants can resume indoor dining in Contra Costa County
- Study: Moderna coronavirus vaccine appears safe, shows signs of working in older adults
- Will Trump say ‘fake news’ or ‘China’ more?: Sportsbooks offer bets for presidential debate
- Viewers’ Guide: Trump, Biden meet in Ohio for 1st debate
- Giolito dazzles, Abreu slugs White Sox past A’s in opener