SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, Calif. (KRON) – The 26-year-old surfer who died in a shark attack Saturday in Santa Cruz County has been identified.
26-year-old Ben Kelly was surfing at Sand Dollar Beach, about a mile south of Manresa State Beach parking lot, when he was attacked.
Kelly was a surfboard maker.
California state park officials responded to the area around 1:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.
According to the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Department, Kelly was pronounced dead at the scene.
No other details about Kelly have been released at this time.
- Newsfeed Now: Protests across America: Battle over SCOTUS vacancy heats up
- Deputies searching for man who stole cat blood from clinic
- Utility worker identified, killed in crash while helping restore power in Sally aftermath
- 870,000 Americans filed new unemployment claims last week
- Child killed, 3 others injured in Oklahoma house explosion, officials say