Five Bay Area spellers are among the 50 finalists in the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
The students are from San Jose, Sunnyvale, Dublin, Santa Clara, and Saratoga.
Hundreds of students from all across the country began the competition earlier this week.
The winner of the competition will receive a $50,000 cash prize.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free news from the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- WOMAN SENTENCED TO 17 YEARS FOR RAPE OF 5-MONTH-OLD GIRL
- BILL GIVING CALIFORNIA WORKERS FULL PAY FOR FAMILY LEAVE ADVANCES
- MISSING MAUI HIKER FOUND ALIVE AFTER 16 DAYS IN FOREST
- SMALL TREMORS ALONG WEST COAST COULD LEAD TO ‘BIG ONE’
- VICTIM KILLED IN HAWAII SHARK ATTACK WAS FROM GRANITE BAY