MARTINEZ (KRON) - Authorities have noticed a spike in boat thefts around the Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta in the last few months.
The Contra Costa Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post that over two dozen incidents occurred in the county.
Deputies say there are some suspects in custody, but several others are still at large.
The thieves are targeting outboard engines and tower speakers for boats. The boats are often stolen, stripped, and then abandoned, grounded or dumped. In some cases, they are set on fire.
A few crime prevention tips:
-Always secure your boat, if possible to a dock with a chain.
-Use motion detection lights and cameras.
-Remove all portable electronics and anything of value from your boat.
-If you are at a marina, ensure you are not piggy-backed onto a private dock.
- ROOKIE OFFICER JUST TWO WEEKS INTO JOB SHOT, KILLED IN DAVIS
- KIDNAPPED TEEN JAYME CLOSS SAYS ABDUCTOR KILLED HER PARENTS
- GOFUNDME TO REFUND $20M IN DONATIONS MADE TO 'TRUMP WALL'
- 2 FEMALE ROOKIE OFFICERS SHOT, KILLED IN 2 DAYS
- TEEN DOES 'BIRD BOX CHALLENGE' WHILE DRIVING, ENDS POORLY