SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – BART decommissioned it’s first legacy car on Friday to help make space for arriving Fleet of the Future trains.
The BART train car 2528, also called Felicia, went into full service in 1995.
The BART train retired in 2014 and is estimated to have traveled about 2.2 million miles.
As new trains are added, storage becomes limited for older cars.
Felicia was one of 10 cars sold to Schnitzer Steel in Oakland to be shredded. Valuables will also be recycled.
- California theme parks, outdoor stadiums get a reopening date
- Minimum wage shot down from American Rescue Plan as ‘vote-a-rama’ is in full swing
- Man found Tiger Woods unconscious after SUV crash
- What next? Americans wait for guidance post-vaccination
- Suspect arrested after house fire in SF’s Eureka Valley; 6 displaced