MARIN COUNTY (KRON) -- A central Marin high school student is in hot water after being accused of bigotry against Muslims after posting a controversial video to her YouTube channel.
The YouTuber known as "Soph," confirmed to be a 14-year-old freshman at a North Bay school, was recently criticized by BuzzFeed in an article that discussed her video called "Be Not Afraid."
In the video, Soph wears a hijab and sarcastically says she has become a "devout follower of the Prophet Muhammad" and reportedly says she gets "raped by my 40-year-old husband every so often," according to the BuzzFeed article.
The video further goes on to encourage young people to speak out without fear of offending people.
Following the BuzzFeed article's publication, YouTube pulled the video for "violating the company's policy on hate speech."
The publication described Soph as "a cherubic white girl mocking Islamic dress while lecturing her hundreds of thousands of followers about Muslim 'rape gangs,' social justice 'homos,' and the evils wrought by George Soros.'"
The article goes on to criticize YouTube for allowing Soph's videos to be published,
Soph has defended her videos and calls them "comedic."
In response, the principal of the high school sent a note to students and parents Thursday night regarding the "hate-based video and text posts attributed to one of our students":
"I want to assure all of our students and parents that we are aware of the situation and we are working with local law enforcement to ensure the safety of all students and staff. To those of you who have written or called, thank you for sharing your concerns with me."
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area's Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- 3 OAKLAND GANGS FORM 'SUPER CELL'; 16 ARREST IN RAID
- MISSING PREGNANT TEEN KILLED, BABY CUT FROM WOMB
- 2ND GRADER THREATENS CHILD WITH GUN AT VALLEJO SCHOOL
- CALIFORNIA'S HIGH SPEED RAIL IN JEOPARDY
- OFFICIALS WARN OF 'ZOMBIE RACCOONS' AFTER REPORTED SIGHTINGS
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Alabama senator introduces bill to repeal Alabama's abortion ban law
- Sharks fall to Blues in season-ending Game 6
- Derek Carr annoyed by NFL draft rumors
- 20-year-old rescued after car plunges 450 feet off cliff in Napa