Officials have confirmed that the body found in Half Moon Bay on Sunday is that of an East Bay teen who went missing a little over a week ago while boogie boarding at Poplar Beach.
Authorities said 18-year-old Naphtali Moi Moi of Hayward fell off his boogie board while out with friends at the beach on April 18.
His friends last saw him about 15 yards offshore floating facedown and appeared to be unresponsive.
They called 911 and that kicked off a search by the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office, and Coastside Fire among other agencies.
A body was discovered Sunday morning near the Ritz-Carlton hotel but confirmation that the body was that of Moi Moi did not become official until Tuesday.
Dental records were used to help identify the teen’s body.
The cause of death is still being investigated.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NOTORIOUS CA KILLER ACCUSED OF BEHEADING, TORTURING CELLMATE
- U.S. OFFICIALS: ARMY VET’S PLAN TO BOMB NAZI RALLY IN SOCAL FOILED
- BUS DRIVER WHO PLEADED GUILTY TO RAPE OF GIRL GETS NO JAIL TIME
- VIDEO: KILLER WHALES ATTACK GRAY WHALE CALF IN MONTEREY BAY
- WATCH: GIRL HIDES TO AVOID CAR FOLLOWING HER IN VACAVILLE