SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) - Strokes are affecting more young Americans. It’s no longer a disease of the elderly and is the leading cause of death worldwide.
Strokes are the fifth leading cause of death in the United States and high blood pressure leads as the cause.
Health expert Karen Owoc explains how one particular change in your diet can reduce your risk.
Karen says eating foods high in compounds called NITRATES is a natural way to treat hypertension and reduce the risk of a stroke or heart attack.
Green Leafy Vegetables —The Powerful Protector
In a European study, researchers found that there are higher levels of nitrates in the leaves of these plants:
- Lamb’s lettuce
- Butter leaf lettuce
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area's Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- 3 CASES OF MEASLES CONFIRMED IN BAY AREA
- SAN JOSE MOM, TWO YOUNG SONS DEAD IN APPARENT MURDER-SUICIDE
- ARCHAEOLOGISTS FIND HIDDEN TUNNELS BELOW ALCATRAZ PRISON
- MOM RAPED, SET ON FIRE KILLS ATTACKER BY DRAGGING HIM INTO FLAMES
- SAN FRANCISCO RENT HITS NEW HIGH, MOST EXPENSIVE IN US