OAKLAND (KRON) – In the East Bay – a unique idea to help the homeless is being considered in Oakland.
City Council President Rebecca Kapan wants to use a cruise ship to house up to 1,000 of the city’s homeless at the port of Oakland.
However, officials at the port say there isn’t infrastructure to safely dock a cruise ship.
But for people who live on the streets, they say Kaplan’s idea gives them confidence in city leaders.
Former San Francisco Mayor Art Agnos introduced the idea four years ago.
He says it could be the solution the Bay Area needs.
What do you think of this idea to help the homeless?
Latest News Headlines:
- Bay Area woman’s parents arrive in U.S. after being quarantined on ship
- Denny Hamlin wins 3rd Daytona 500; Ryan Newman hospitalized
- Senator Bernie Sanders campaigned for votes in Bay Area
- Las Vegas Raiders: Who will be their next quarterback?
- Racing world takes to social media reacting to Ryan Newman crash at Daytona 500