OAKLAND (KRON) – In the East Bay – a unique idea to help the homeless is being considered in Oakland.
City Council President Rebecca Kapan wants to use a cruise ship to house up to 1,000 of the city’s homeless at the port of Oakland.
However, officials at the port say there isn’t infrastructure to safely dock a cruise ship.
But for people who live on the streets, they say Kaplan’s idea gives them confidence in city leaders.
Former San Francisco Mayor Art Agnos introduced the idea four years ago.
He says it could be the solution the Bay Area needs.
What do you think of this idea to help the homeless?
Latest News Headlines:
- ‘Taco Tuesday’: Taco Bell plans to feed America this Tuesday
- Instacart makes changes ahead of planned worker strike
- INTERACTIVE MAP: How many coronavirus tests have been conducted in my state?
- Alan Merrill, co-writer of ‘I love Rock ‘n’ Roll,’ dies from coronavirus complications
- San Francisco’s Muni changes now in effect