The carcass of a great white shark washed ashore in Aptos Sunday morning.
The shark was found at around 7 a.m. on a beach near the Seascape Beach Resort, resort staff told KSBW.
Marine biologist Giancarlo Thomae told KSBW that the 500-pound great white measured 8 feet 9 inches long and was about 5 years old.
The shark had numerous puncture wounds and scars from feeding on sea lions.
Thomae said that it is unlikely the sea lions killed the shark, but they won’t know the cause of death until the results of the necropsy are released.
The carcass was removed and transported to Long Marine Lab where a necropsy will be performed early next week.
- TENANT KIDNAPS 70-YEAR-OLD LANDLORD AFTER DISPUTE IN OAKLAND
- WOMAN KILLED IN CRASH AFTER TREE FALLS ON DANVILLE FREEWAY
- MEXICAN DRUG CARTEL LEADER ‘LA BARBIE’ GETS NEARLY 50 YEARS
- TEENAGER WARNS OTHERS AFTER BABY BROTHER DIES IN HOT CAR
- MAN SUES CVS FOR TELLING HIS WIFE ABOUT VIAGRA PRESCRIPTION