CUPERTINO (KRON) – The Santa Clara Sheriff’s Department says the driver accused of ramming two people in her car, killing one as they walked in a Cupertino park Tuesday afternoon has been arrested.
50-year-old Mireya Orta is expected to appear in court Thursday on murder charges.
Before 1 p.m. on Tuesday, authorities responded to the scene at Rancho San Antonio County Park following a report of two pedestrians being struck and the driver fleeing the scene.
On Tuesday, Sergeant Michael Low said that deputies were able to safely detain Orta who was driving a black Audi.
One of the victims was taken to the hospital but was later pronounced dead.
The other victim was treated and released on the scene.
Both victims are reported to be adults.
As of Wednesday afternoon, authorities say they were still working to find a connection between the suspect to the victims.
People who visited the park were stunned to hear about the violence that unfolded the day before.
Sheriff’s say Orta was booked into the Main Jail in San Jose on Tuesday night for murder and assault with a deadly weapon.
KRON4 attempted to reach out to the registered owner of the 2007 Audi but was unsuccessful.
- City leaders work to keep drugs out of San Francisco’s Tenderloin District
- Condom recycling operation raided in Vietnam
- Louisiana 4th grader suspended over BB gun during virtual class
- Colin Kaepernick calls to abolish police after Breonna Taylor decision
- Smoke drifts back into Bay Area Friday