SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Facebook is raising how much it pays U.S. contractors who do some of its most taxing work, including watching violent and other objectionable material for possible removal.
Facebook will pay at least $18 an hour for these jobs. Those in New York City, Washington, D.C., and the San Francisco Bay Area will get $22 per hour. Facebook says its standard minimum pay for all contractors was previously $15 per hour.
The content review jobs are psychologically taxing. Facebook has been criticized for not paying the workers enough and not providing enough support.
Facebook said Monday it’s adding tools for content moderators to have graphic images blurred out or shown in black and white before they see it.
The company says it’s looking into “similar standards” outside the U.S.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area's Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NO JAIL FOR MOM WHO TRIED TO DROWN BABY IN MCDONALD'S TOILET
- VIDEO: NORCAL POLICE RELEASE VIDEO OF OFFICER SLAMMING WOMAN
- SF DOCTOR ACCUSED OF ISSUING FAKE VACCINE EXEMPTIONS FOR KIDS
- SONOMA COUPLE TO PAY NEARLY $600K FOR UPROOTING TREE
- POLICE INVESTIGATE 3RD THREAT AT SAN RAMON'S CAL HIGH