SANTA ROSA (BCN) — A fire apparently caused by a BBQ on an outdoor deck damaged a home in Santa Rosa on Wednesday night, fire officials said.
Firefighters responded around 9 p.m. to the blaze on Hershey Court, a small cul-de-sac off of Marlow Road, and arrived to find the exterior deck and fence burning.
Crews entered the home and confirmed that the family living there had evacuated safely. The fire damaged the left rear corner of the home and extended into the attic, causing an estimated $40,000 in damage overall, according to the fire department.
Investigators determined a BBQ on the deck on the left side of the home was used just prior to the fire, and hot embers sparked the flames that extended into the structure.
The residents are staying with other family members living locally, fire officials said.
Copyright © 2020 by Bay City News, Inc.
- Man killed in San Jose stabbing, investigation underway
- Santa Clara County requiring quarantine as cases grow higher than ever
- Congress returns with virus aid, federal funding unresolved
- Moderna asking US, European regulators to OK its virus shots
- San Francisco’s purple tier restrictions go into effect