RICHMOND (KRON) – Flaring at the Chevron refinery prompted evacuations earlier Monday morning.
Thick, black smoke is visible from I-580 in the Richmond area.
Officials said the flaring was first reported around 4:24 a.m., then a second flaring event was reported around 9:45 a.m. when the unit was being restarted.
Officials said the problem has been identified and crews are working to fix it.
Workers from the unit have been moved.
The flaring is ongoing at this time.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Democrats face an important test in Nevada caucuses
- Air quality to be tested at McClymonds High School after toxic chemical found
- Helicopter pilot in Bryant crash had FAA violation in 2015
- New virus has infected nearly 78,000 people globally
- Case of missing children tied to doomsday beliefs, 3 deaths