OAKLAND (KRON) — “Our job’s not over yet,” Danielle Silva said moments after the Ghost Ship Trial verdict was announced.
Silva is a friend of the two and reportedly showed up every day to court during the months-long trial.
She said she is looking forward to healing, but said the root of the problem is still being ignored.
“Every day that Max and Derick were in jail, we were ignoring the root of the problem,” she said. “And I still believe with Derick still being in jail with the mistrial, we are still ignoring the root of the problem.”
She continued to say that landlords and building owners need to be held accountable or “this will happen again”.
Silva said her friends are both victims of the tragedy.
“(Almena) lost seven friends in one night,” she said. I’ve lost friends before, family members but I’ve never been through anything like that.”
- Oakland to pay $32.7M to settle deadly Ghost Ship Warehouse Fire suits
- City of Oakland settles Ghost Ship warehouse fire lawsuit
- PG&E agrees to $13.5B settlement with Northern California fire victims
- Memorial honors victims on eve of Ghost Ship Fire anniversary
- 2 jurors held in contempt for warehouse trial