JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - A 7-year-old Florida girl died when she was shot in the head by a stray bullet while sitting in a car with her family.
Jacksonville police say Heydi Rivas Villanueva was sitting in a car with her father and a sibling Saturday night in a strip mall parking lot, awaiting her mother to get off work at a nearby restaurant.
Police say two groups of men started shooting at each other nearby and a bullet struck her. The gunmen fled.
Heydi died about three hours later at a hospital.
Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry tweeted, "My Lord. My God. This is heartbreaking. These are our children. I've spoken to the Sheriff. Our cops are in pursuit of these terrible people."
13,000 votes left to count in Marin...
Will Warriors move forward following...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- WATCH: Bears eat 49 chocolate bars out of teen's car
- Legendary San Francisco baseball bar Lefty O'Doul's re-opens in Fisherman's Wharf
- Contra Costa County food bank helping victims of Butte County wildfire
- INTERVIEW: Family subject of movie 'Beautiful Boy' lives in North Bay