Excessively large waves will put off the Mavericks Surf Competition until further notice.
Officials had initially said the event could be held this week, but now say the waves will be too inconsistent.
Officials will wait for better conditions, adding that there is still three months left for the surfing event this season.
January is typically the best month for Mavericks.
A High Surf Advisory went into effect this morning at 9 a.m. and will last through 9 p.m. tonight along the coast from Sonoma County all the way down through Monterey.
Experts say we’ll be seeing waves breaking between 25 and 40 feet high, and at times as high as 50 feet at various points across the coast.
Waves are expected to peak tonight into tomorrow, and conditions will improve late Tuesday night into Tuesday morning.
- BAY AREA JANITOR ACCUSED OF LEWD ACTS WITH CHILDREN
- STUDENT FROM SHASTA COUNTY STABBED TO DEATH OVERSEAS
- TV STATION MOURNS LOSS OF METEOROLOGIST
- MAN SENTENCES FOR SNEAKING INTO HOME, RAPING 6-YEAR-OLD
- WATCH: TEEN QUITS WALMART WITH F-BOMB LADEN RANT OVER SPEAKER