CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (KRON) – A man is in jail after turning himself in to police in connection with a deadly hit-and-run crash that claimed the life of a 12-year-old girl.
It happened Monday around 3:30 p.m. at Crow Canyon and Manter Road, just off I-580.
Authorities said the victim, 12-year-old Lana Carlos, was walking with her older sister Jadyn in the crosswalk when they were hit by the driver, Joshua Byrne.
Surveillance video shows Jadyn tried to pull her sister back before she was hit and killed by Byrne, who was driving a Ford F-150 pickup truck.
The family shared a photo of the two girls and called them “inseparable.”
Byrne surrendered to authorities Tuesday morning but in a press conference officials said Byrne had not admitted to any charges.
He has been arrested for felony hit and run and vehicular manslaughter.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 510-582-9028.
- Girl who lost baseball card collection in Creek Fire gets surprise from Cal Fire
- Earthquakes vs. LAFC game postponed after players contract COVID-19
- Obama sinks 3-pointer while campaigning for Biden in Michigan
- Rare blue moon on Halloween: Here’s how to see it
- Obama criticizes Trump in scathing, personal terms