Deputies found an unresponsive inmate in a holding room on Saturday night at the Martinez Detention Facility.
Around 11:27 p.m. Deputy Sheriffs were alerted about the situation and called for medical assistance.
Officials say that CPR was immediately performed on the inmate.
The fire department and ambulance arrived at the detention center to assist.
Authorities say the inmate was then pronounced dead.
The inmates’ identity has not been released, only that it is a 26-year-old man.
Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office is investigating the death.
- 49ERS CHEERLEADER WHO TOOK A KNEE DURING ANTHEM FROM ANTIOCH
- PRICE REDUCED FOR TINY HOME FOR SALE IN SAN FRANCISCO
- KIDNAPPED MAN LIKELY FED TO HOGS, COURT DOCS REVEAL
- CONSTRUCTION WORKERS FIND 1,000 HUMAN TEETH INSIDE WALL
- TEENS DISCOVER THEY’RE HAVING SEX WITH SAME TEACHER, TELL HIS WIFE