SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. (KRON) – A staff member at Sonoma Raceway found what appeared to be a noose hanging from a tree on Saturday, according to Raceway officials.
Local law enforcement officials have been contacted about the incident.
The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the incident at this time.
“Sonoma Raceway takes this incident very seriously and is dedicated to operating a facility that is welcoming to everyone.”
“I think we need to turn over every stone on who did it because it’s a horrific hate crime. It is not just a message of threat, a hateful message of it, but it’s a message of that you could be killed,” Supervisor Shirlee Zane said.
The sheriff’s department says they responded to the crime scene Monday morning.
Right now, the raceway is reviewing surveillance and working with the sheriff’s office to find out who did this.
- Cooling centers open in San Jose for relief from heat
- FBI: 130 Twitter accounts removed for trying to ‘disrupt’ presidential debate conversation
- Mudslides related to fires could cause evacuations in Santa Cruz Mountains
- Statewide Flex Alert issued for Thursday
- Record turnout: 1.8 million have already voted in presidential election