WALNUT CREEK (KRON) – Prominent civil rights attorney John Burris is filing a lawsuit against the city of Walnut Creek and five police officers after a fatal police shooting.
The lawsuit is expected to be announced later Thursday morning.
The lawsuit claims that officers shot 23-year-old Miles Hall even though they knew he needed mental health care.
Burris says that Hall’s family had been working with a police mental health resource officer to get Hall help.
The shooting happened back on June 2.
Hall, who was carrying a metal pry bar, ran at police officers and officers responded by firing beanbag rounds at him.
But when that didn’t work, they opened fire.
The city has not commented on the lawsuit.
Latest News Headlines:
- Giants’ Cueto goes on 10-day injured list with lat strain
- Los Gatos bakery owner offered women bread-making lessons, sexually assaulted them instead: police
- How long will the boba shortage last? Boba Guys explain
- EXCLUSIVE: Los Angeles woman admits to killing her three children in jailhouse interview
- Modesto woman kidnapped by estranged husband, may be heading to Mexico: Sheriff