A performance of “Hamilton” in San Francisco was interrupted on Friday night following a medical emergency.
In just minutes, the audience members rushed to the exits at the Orpheum Theatre.
Police say a woman suffered a medical emergency during the performance just as gunfire was heard during the duel scene of the play onstage.
Some in the audience mistakenly tied the events together, leading to the confusion and “self-evacuation.”
Police say four people were injured.
“And in the crowd fleeing, a few people fell down and got hurt, and one person had a heart attack and she went to the hospital,” said Captain Renee Pagano.
The show did not go on following those chaotic moments.
- SAUSALITO MUDSLIDE DESTOYS HOME, INJURES WOMAN
- HERO LYFT DRIVER RESCUES TODDLER FOUND WANDERING SANTA ROSA
- WATCH: AC TRANSIT BUS DRIVES THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAY
- PHOTOS: POWERFUL STORM CAUSES WIDESPREAD DAMAGE IN BAY AREA
- INTERACTIVE RADAR: TRACK THE RAIN ACROSS THE BAY AREA