Memorial Day is Monday, May 27.
If you’re looking for something fun to do, there’s no shortage of things going on in the Bay Area.
Events and other fun things to do
- BottleRock Napa
- Bay Area KidFest
- San Ramon Art & Wind Festival
- Mushroom Mardi Gras
- Fremont Burger & Brew Fest
- Session Beer Festival
- Afro Soca Love: Oakland Outdoor Festival
- San Francisco Carnaval
- San Francisco International Arts Festival
- Myanmar New Year Water Festival
Memorial Day Services and Parades
- Benicia Arsenal Post Cemetery Memorial Day Service
- Cypress Lawn Memorial Day Service
- Hillsborough Memorial Day
- Mill Valley Memorial Day Ceremony and Parade
- Mountain View Cemetery Memorial Day Commemoration
- Presidio Memorial Day Commemoration and Parade
- San Rafael Memorial Day Service
- Skylawn Memorial Park Memorial Day Service
- USS Hornet Memorial Day Service
In terms of food, the U.S. Department of Agriculture is reminding families that food-borne illnesses are a risk as hot and humid weather can allow bacteria to multiply.
Clean, separate, cook and chill are four steps the Food Safety and Inspection Service offers to avoid sickness this holiday weekend.
More tips include:
- No running water where you’re headed? Bring soap, paper towels, hand sanitizer or moist towels.
- Use clean plates and utensils to avoid cross contamination.
- Bring multiple coolers — one for perishable foods, one for drinks.
- Perishable items should be kept at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below.
- Bring a food thermometer to use when cooking meat.
- Beef, pork, lamb, veal and fish: 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Ground meats: 160 degrees Fahrenheit
- Don’t leave leftovers outdoors for more than two hours.
If you’re headed out to the pool, remember to stay hydrated and be aware especially if there is no lifeguard on duty.
Keep a close eye on your kiddos and take floaties along, too.
If you decide to eat something before getting into the water, wait at least half an hour to avoid possibly vomiting in the pool.
What’s open and closed
- Government offices: All federal, state, city, and county offices will be closed
- Mail delivery: Mail will not be delivered Monday, and most UPS and FedEx services will also be closed
- Banks and other financial institutions: Closed on Monday
- Libraries: Most will be closed Monday
- Schools and colleges: Not in session Monday
- Garbage: Trash pickup will vary; check with your local provider
- DMV and Courts: DMV offices nationwide will be closed; courts will not be in session
- Retail stores: Most will be open and many will offer sales; bear in mind Costco will be closed on Memorial Day
- Grocery stores and restaurants: Many will remain
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- ELDERLY WOMAN KIDNAPPED, REPEATEDLY RAPED IN SAN FRANCISCO
- 6 ARRESTED IN DEADLY STABBING AT SAN JOSE DOLLAR TREE
- DISMEMBERED BODY FOUND IN SAN FRANCISCO HOME
- GOT A REAL ID? YOU MAY NEED TO VISIT DMV AGAIN
- NOTORIOUS KILLER’S MOM ASKS WHY HER SON WAS GIVEN A CELLMATE