SAN JOSE (KRON) – The coronavirus outbreak is having widespread economic effects, including the ability for some people to pay their rent.
San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo has proposed a moratorium on evicting people who have lost income because of the coronavirus.
Housing advocates argue that the closure of the Children’s Discovery Museum, a slowdown at the airport, event cancellations, school closures, and potential layoffs could all result in lost wages.
The moratorium could potentially last 30 days if it’s approved by the city council.
Those affected would be required to provide documentation from their employers about their income.
- Citizenship data is latest rollback of Trump census efforts
- 1 possibly trapped as crews respond to San Francisco fire
- Track the storm: Back-to-back rain headed to Bay Area
- San Jose Sharks to play first 2 home games in Arizona due to county restrictions
- Experts: 15 more days to reach trapped China mine workers