SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KRON) – Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday held a coronavirus briefing at noon.
The news conference comes after the abrupt resignation of California’s public health director, Dr. Sonia Angell, who announced late Sunday she was resigning from the California Department of Public Health.
Angell did not give a specific reason for her departure.
The announcement comes just days after the state announced a fix for a glitch that caused a lag in collecting coronavirus test information that’s used to make decisions about reopening businesses and schools.
At last check, the state reported 8,373 new cases of coronavirus as of Aug. 8. There have been a total of 10,293 deaths.
- Bay Area families who lost loved ones to police brutality say Breonna Taylor decision is not shocking
- Burglaries in San Francisco are up 42% compared to 2019
- The Salvation Army to start annual holiday fundraising early to “rescue Christmas”
- California to end sales of gas-powered cars by 2035
- Several senior citizens injured after a bunch of teens reportedly fired paintballs at them