Today teachers in Oakland were back in the classrooms after reaching a deal with the school district to end the 7-day teachers strike.
Members of the Oakland Education Associated voted to accept the contract from the school district.
Teachers lined up at the Paramount Theater to vote on the district’s deal yesterday.
The union and the district have been negotiating for the past two years.
Teachers were demanding higher wages, smaller class sizes, and more resource.s
“We forced the Oakland Unified to invest in our teachers in Oakland,” said Teacher Mark Zucker. “This is not the first or last step, we’re in the middle of a battle. I was in the strike in ’96, I was in the strike now, and it was worth it because we showed we cared, the community showed they cared. We pulled together and this is the next step, we achieved some important gains, we want to get them in writing and move forward from here.”
- OAKLAND TEACHERS VOTE TO APPROVE CONTRACT WITH DISTRICT
- SHERIFF: 2 YOUNG CALIFORNIA SISTERS FOUND ALIVE
- 5-YEAR-OLD BOY CALLS POLICE ON ‘MOMO CHALLENGE’
- FAMILY OF STEPHON CLARK SEEKING JUSTICE
- MAN SURVIVES 5 DAYS STUCK IN SNOW BY EATING TACO SAUCE PACKETS