CONCORD, Calif. (KRON) — An 18-year-old man was arrested Wednesday night after telling police he killed his mother at their home in Concord.
The man, identified as Harrison Mercier, called police dispatch at 9 p.m. and said he killed his mother at a home on the 3000 block of Treat Boulevard.
Police arrived and found him waiting outside.
Mercier was arrested and officers found the victim, Elizabeth Berry, deceased inside the home.
Neighbors were surprised by the police activity and stunned to learn what happened..
“Once they started taping, we realized that it was more than just you know an accident,” Chris Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez lives and runs a small day care next door.
She said the woman who lived there was friendly and quiet. She also was unaware her son was staying with her.
“It’s shocking,” Rodriguez said. “We didn’t hear anything, it was always quiet. It’s just sad.”
Police later discovered Mercier stabbed his mother to death. He has been charged with murder, according to the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office.
His bail was listed as $1,030,000.
It’s unclear at this time what led up to the homicide or how the woman was killed.
- Protest held in San Jose following death of George Floyd
- White House on lockdown as protest breaks out nearby
- Businesses in downtown Oakland board up in anticipation of protests
- Twitter says Trump, White House account violated rule against glorifying violence
- Foster City Oral Surgery Specialist offering local student free wisdom teeth removal