SANTA ROSA (KRON) – A man was shot at least three times while confronting an intruder outside his Santa Rosa apartment early Thursday.
According to police, officers responded to the complex near Dutton Avenue and W. 3rd Street and found a 27-year-old man suffering from several gunshot wounds.
The victim was taken to a local hospital where he remains in serious but stable condition.
An investigation revealed the victim and his girlfriend were awoken by sounds coming from their second-floor balcony.
Police said the victim armed himself and went outside to the balcony, where he found the suspect.
That’s when the two exchanged gunfire and police said the victim was hit at least three times.
It’s not known if the suspect was hit by gunfire.
The suspect was able to flee the scene and get into a pickup truck in the parking lot and has yet to be located.
Authorities said although the suspect never gained access to the apartment, they believe the suspect was trying to gain entry judging by several pieces of evidence found on the balcony.
The motive is unknown at this time.
Anyone with any information is asked to call the Santa Rosa Police Violent Crimes Team at 707-543-3590.
Latest News Headlines:
- Senator Bernie Sanders campaigned for votes in Bay Area
- Las Vegas Raiders: Who will be their next quarterback?
- Racing world takes to social media reacting to Ryan Newman crash at Daytona 500
- Hikers turned away from Bay Area park after mountain lion attacked 6-year-old
- Denny Hamlin wins 3rd Daytona 500 in photo finish