OAKLAND (KRON) – Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty against the man charged with killing Nia Wilson on a BART platform last year.
John Lee Cowell is charged with stabbing the 18-year-old and her sister in an unprovoked attack at the MacArthur BART station in Oakland.
Cowell is also charged with a special circumstance allegation.
The prosecutor will now focus on having him sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Cowell’s next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 11.
Latest News Headlines:
- Bay Area leaders push for more equitable vaccine distribution
- Oakland parents push for schools to reopen as soon as possible
- Berkeley elementary schools prepare to reopen for in-person learning
- San Francisco’s employment opportunities dropped 50% in 2020, data shows
- Golden retriever service dog wears PPE to assist human in lab