OAKLAND (KRON) – Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty against the man charged with killing Nia Wilson on a BART platform last year.
John Lee Cowell is charged with stabbing the 18-year-old and her sister in an unprovoked attack at the MacArthur BART station in Oakland.
Cowell is also charged with a special circumstance allegation.
The prosecutor will now focus on having him sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Cowell’s next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 11.
Latest News Headlines:
- Woman killed in San Francisco landslide remember 1 year later
- Oprah stops in San Francisco to talk wellness on 2020 Vision tour
- New Orleans agency: 1 person killed after struck by Mardi Gras float
- Hercules man still missing more than a week after disappearance
- Sanders wins Nevada caucuses, takes national Democratic lead